Welcome! We are glad you visited our online home.
Welcome to the online home of First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, PA – “The Church On the Hill.” We are glad you have found the website of this lively, loving and faithful congregation. We invite you to click through our pages and discover why so many thoughtful Christians in our region make this church their spiritual home.
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and have more than 500 members. Each week about 200 people attend worship and education, which makes us one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
We welcome all people to our church family. Check out our "how to join" page for more information.
Hot topics ...
- Easter is fast approaching! In this, the final week leading up to Easter, we offer several opportunities for study, worship, and meditation.
- On April 1, the theme of our joint classes will be Walking through Holy Week. The events will start early, at 6:00 pm, with our customary light supper at 5:15. Please let us know if you are joining us for supper, so we know how much food to prepare.
- Maundy Thursday, April 2 at 7:30 p.m. - A service of Holy Communion and Tenebrae, marking the Last Supper with Jesus.
- Good Friday, April 3, at 12:00 noon - Community-wide observance of the Passion of Christ from noon until 1:00 p.m..
- Easter Sunday at 8:30 and 10:00 a.m. - We celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus with joyful music and the Lord’s Supper
- Lent is the forty days leading up to Easter. PCUSA offers a daily Lenten Calendar, as a guide throughout Lent. Also, look at the very special moments we have planned. -more-
- April is Food Pantry Month. Please remember to pick up a few extra items at the grocery store during April and bring them to church.
- Presbyterians were recently in the national news. -more-
- Attention youth! - See the Camp Lackawanna programs for 2015. There are fun programs for all ages and interests. Scholarships are available here. Other scholarships are available as well.
- Also for youth, Vacation Bible School dates have been announced - July 13 - 17, 2015, and on-line registration is now open. Check out our VBS page.
- Did you know that you can use on-line giving for any gift to any program? Click on the big green pledge button and direct your gift to any program. Missions, music, youth programs, OGHS and the Deacon's Fund are just a few of the many programs that can use your gifts.
- Souper Bowl Sunday was a super success. We were able to give $405 to the AEM Food Pantry. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
- The annual meeting of the congregation and corporation was held on Sunday, February 1, 2015. This year's annual report is available here.
- Good news from Haiti! The support from FPC has provided training and seed capital for loans to emerging cooperatives in Haiti. Read the complete report from Groundswell International.
- Subscribe now to our weekly e-mail newsletter.
- The Church on the Hill has many activities for all. If you're into music, if you want to provide support for others, if you want to enrich your Christian life, or if you just want to get out and meet people with similar interests, we have activities for all. Click here for a list of our activites to enhance your life within our church community.
The Presbyterians were in the national news this week. On March 17, the 86th presbytery ratified a proposed change in the denomination's Book of Order. This change amends the church's constitution, broadening Christian marriage from being between "a man and a woman" to "two people, traditionally a man and a woman." Here is an article in the New York Times on the decision (one of the fairest reports thus far).
As you may expect, Presbyterians are people who hold diverse opinions, but generally we believe it is more important to stay together in our diversity than to sever the Body of Christ. Hence there are many perspectives on this matter within our fellowship, although there is great consensus on the power of love and the importance of lifelong commitment.
Want to talk about this? The pastor's door is always open and he welcomes a conversation, especially if you buy the coffee. There is also an excellent study that the national church put together that is available for download. Feel free to give it a look.
- April 7 is the date for this year's State Hospital Luncheon.
- April 11 is our next Adopt-a-Highway clean-up day.
- April 11 is also clean up day at Camp Lackawanna. We at FPC have adopted the Spann Chapel, and every year the area needs to be cleaned up. Bring your rakes and enjoy the beauty of the area and help us prepare for our summer camp season. Check in at the main lodge upon arrival.
- April 19 is the day for the next event in the Arts at First Presbyterian series. The 4:00 concert will feature Duo Montagnard, with Joseph Murphy on the Saxophone and Matthew Slotkin on the Guitar. -more-
- April 24 is Faith Day at the Railrider Stadium. Take yourself out to the ball game, enjoy the peanuts and Cracker Jacks, and the join us to see the Railriders play the Pawtucket Red Sox.
Check our Calendar for more upcoming events.